Stakeholder discussions and planning for the Livestock and Fish small ruminant value chain development project began in mid-2012. By November, sites were selected and teams were trained to carry out rapid value chain assessments in the project’s 7 research sites (including for the safe food fair food project).
Field implementation of the rapid value chain assessment ran through December 2012 and January 2013 with mixed CGIAR-national teams collecting data in Atsbi, Doyogena, Menz, Horro, Abergelle, Yabello and Shinelle districts (see pictures).
The teams used a toolkit developed through the Program and undertook focus group discussions with farmers using checklists and participatory methods as well as key informant interviews with local experts, traders, butchers, livestock researchers, transporters, veterinarians and NGOs.
The preliminary reports from these assessments are being reviewed at three multi-stakeholder workshops on ‘Targeting Action Research on Small Ruminant Value Chains in Ethiopia’ held in March and April 2013. In these workshops, participants from research and development partners are taking stock of the value chain assessments and formulating ‘best bet’ intervention plans for each of the sites (that will also be taken back to the communities for their involvement).
View presentations of the value chain assessments from the various workshops:
- Sheep value chains in Menz Gera district, North Shewa Zone, Ethiopia: Results of a rapid value chain assessment
- Sheep value chain development in Doyogena District of SNNPR, Ethiopia: Results of a rapid value chain assessment
- Value chain analysis of sheep in Horro district of Oromia Region, Ethiopia
- Safe Food, Fair Food: Summary of findings within sheep value chains in the Ethiopian Highlands
- Value chain analysis of sheep in Atsbi district of Tigray Region, Ethiopia
- Tanqua-Abergelle Goat Value Chain Analysis: The case of Abergelle district, Tigray Region, Ethiopia
- Waq-Abergelle Goat Value Chain Analysis: The case of Abergelle Woreda, Amhara Region, Ethiopia
- Safe Food, Fair Food: Summary of findings within sheep value chains in the Atsbi and Abergelle districts of the Ethiopian Highlands
- Goat value chains in Yabelo district of Borana zone, Ethiopia: Results of a rapid value chain assessment
- Goat value chains in Shinelle district, Somali zone, Ethiopia: Results of a rapid value chain assessment
- Safe Food, Fair Food: Summary of findings within lowland goat and sheep value chains in Ethiopia